Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Transition muscles are a painful thing..

Ahhh...transition muscles.  For those that have run triathlon or know a little bit about it, you know EXACTLY what I am talking about.  For those of you new to triathlon or training for one, these two words might be foreign to you.

Today..my transition muscles got a major workout!!

Transition muscles are the muscle groups that you use going from one discipline in triathlon to the next.  For today, Hector and I worked on going from the bike to the run.  In the gym, we set my bike on a trainer and I went from several minutes of 80 to 90 rpm cadence riding to jumping off the bike, putting on my running shoes and running on a treadmill for several minutes at various speeds.  After running, it was back to the bike for cadence riding and working gears.  I was sweating like crazy and almost begging Hector for mercy.

Hector has decided to focus my strength on the bike.  Since I am a plus size person, it would be to my advantage to focus my energy on a non weight bearing event like the bike as opposed to the run.  Hector explained that I have strong legs from years of carrying alot of weight and we will use this to our advantage.

At the end of the hour, I was pretty tired...but I had that feeling of a job well done.  Have you ever dreaded going to do a workout but once it was done, you feel absolutely incredible? That is how it was for me today.

Don't get me wrong.  I ended up taking a hot bath this afternoon and falling asleep in the tub before going to Disney to work my other job...but all in all...it was a great workout.  This was a minor workout compared to what is to come.

After a night of work at Disney (Ill tell you about my two different professions at another time), I am exhausted and ready for so much earned sleep!!

No comments: