Sunday, January 6, 2008

Working out with friends...


Its rare that I have a weekend with nothing planned or scheduled...but this was one of those weekends.  Don't get me wrong, I had TRAINING scheduled including a 7 mile run with Team in Training (out last weekend workout prior to the Disney Marathon) and a spin class with my trainer, Hector, at the Downtown YMCA...

Ahhh but the best laid training plans are quickly changed....

I ended up getting called into work at Disney for a long night on Friday and by the time I got home, it was close to 11pm.  I was exhausted so I called Coach Beth and said I would be missing morning practice and sleeping in!

After the team finished their 7 miles, Beth called me and asked me to breakfast with Rahul, Debbie,  Ironman Rick and several others from TNT.  Rahul announced he was picking up his new bike from Orange Cycle...and of course...we all had to go and check out the new wheels.  Well...you cant get new wheels without giving them a good workout, so we agreed to meet at the West Orange Trail for a bike workout.  My buddies did 20 miles..but I saw and opportunity to do my first brick of the triathlon season...so I rode 10 miles and then ran 3 miles.  Ok, so it wasn't my 7 mile run workout that I was SUPPOSE to do...but it was great fun.

Working out with friends is what makes this sport so enjoyable to me.  Sometimes we get so worked up about training schedules and racing that we forget that this is suppose to be FUN!! Today...it was very fun..and I hope that we will continue to be able to do this.  One of the reasons I believe I had such a hard time training last year for the ironman is that I did so much of the training alone.  Maybe that will change this year....

No comments: