Monday, June 23, 2008

Congrats to the Ironmen

I believe that we find strength and courage in so much that we see around us.  The simple gesture of watching a race unfold can bring such inspiration.  So was the case last night as I watched over 1000 athletes compete and complete Ironman Coeur d'Alene.  


First, one of my favorite people who use to work for Team in Training here in Orlando finished her FIRST Ironman .  My sincerest high fives to COLLEEN WILSON who I watched on video as she completed the course in 13 hours 14 minutes and 23 seconds!!  Fantastic job girl!!


Believe it or not, my former travel agency boss lives in Coeur d'Alene.  Mary Larsen called me on Friday and wanted to know if any of my friends were going to be out her way and running in this incredible race.  I was thrilled that she took down my coach's name-Hector Torres- and promised that she would look for him on the course.  I didn't think much of it until she called Sunday night to let me know she had seen Hector.  She had made a large sign that said:


Hector Torres...Melissa D sends you Orlando Magic!!!


From what Mary told me, Hector was a little stunned to see a sign for him in a place where he didn't know anyone.  I haven't spoken to Hector yet, but Mary said he really enjoyed the support and it just made her night.  After several years of living in Coeur d'Alene, it was nice for her to have someone to cheer for in the endurance event.


Hector Torres...my amazing Ironman Coach completed Ironman Coeur d'Alene in 13 hours 29 minutes and 2 seconds.  He had a huge smile as he crossed the finished line and I know that he inspired alot of people with his performance.


It made me start thinking about my shot at Ironman and made me realize that 18 weeks is just around the corner.  Nothing like a little nudge to get your out the door and onto your bike or into the pool!!!


So...Hector...Colleen...you are an Ironman.  Congrats!!!

1 comment:

Colleen Renee' Wilson said...

That is really funny...I told my friends that were with me that I saw a sign that said Colleen #1916 and Hector Torres with his number and I was SOOOO confused!! Thanks for the inspiration!

It feels good to be an Ironman!!