Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Myrtle Beach / Dasani Half Marathon

Well...I can't stay still for long. I had to go out and find an event over the weekend when there is nothing going on at Structure House...and I found a fantastic race. The Myrtle Beach Marathon and Half Marathon was a small but well organized race taking you down next to the Ocean and throughout the Myrtle Beach area. I drove down on Friday, attended the small expo, picked up my packet and stayed at the Headquarter Hotel. Morning temperature was a chilly 55 degrees and the forecast predicted rain. I was a little nervous about running in the cooler temperatures but it made for a great race. I got soaking wet the last mile of the race as the heavens opened, but it was fun and I took 19 minutes off my Miami Half Marathon time. The body felt good and so much stronger since Miami. The proper nutrition and workouts are definitely making a difference.

The only complaint I had about this race was that the Headquarter hotel did not provide transportation back from the race site. It was only 8 blocks but in the cold, the wind and the rain, that made those 8 blocks very uncomfortable. I ended up begging a driver from another hotel to take me back to the hotel so I didn't freeze to death. After a sizeable tip, I was back in my warm hotel room, grabbed an ice bath (BRRRRRR) and packed up and drove the 3 hours back to Durham.

The hardest part of the day: the drive home!! The first two hours were ok. The last hour was brutal. All I wanted to do is sleep. It really made me appreciate those people who travel with me when I do races and provide support. How special it is to have people who care about you that much.

I now how a beautiful heart shaped half marathon medal (I ran on Valentine's Day...how cool is that) to add to my collection. A fantastic day ... a fantastic race...

No comments: