Friday, February 26, 2010

The Power of the Positive Attitude

Its interesting how powerful the mind can be. I find evidence of brain power and the immense force it has on your world when I climb on a treadmill.

Yesterday, I had a running interval workout with Hector. He put me on the moving treadmill at an incredibly slow 3mph. I warmed up, we talked and the topic of scuba diving came up. I love to dive. For someone who has been overweight most of their life, being in the water gives the feeling of ultimate mobility. I feel like superwoman with a tank on my back. There is nothing I can't do when I am on compressed air. It is definitely one of my happy places.

As I walked on the treadmill, and began to job, Hector and I talked about how I became a scuba diver, then a Divemaster, then a Scuba Instructor. We talked about my favorite dive sites, scuba classes, working at Disney with "Diving Mickey" and all those happy things about one of my favorite sports.

I was getting winded. My heart rate was up but not to the point of exhaustion. I looked down at the treadmill and Hector smiled. I was running at 5.0 with little effort.

"Melissa...the mental block you have about running can disappear if you go to a happy place." "Think about diving or anything else that brings you joy and it will distract you from the negative thoughts you have about body image, being slow and running in general." "Your positive attitude will change your relationship with running...you will start to like it as much as you do scuba."

Well, I agree with that theory but I seriously doubt I could like anything more than scuba (except triathlon in general).

We continued the workout and I felt strong. When I finished I was tired but so inspired. The mental game really does make a huge difference in endurance sports.

So as I sit here looking back at my posts, I realize the negativity that often enters my relationship with triathlon. I don't look good in spandex. I'm slow on the run. I have DNF'ed two Ironmans. But then, I look at the positives of life as an "athlete". I'm still here when they told me I wouldn't be. I am running faster in the short distances than I ever have. There are so many positives that outweigh what I see as negative, that EVENTUALLY, the tables will turn.

I'm almost to that turning point...I can feel it....This really could be my year...

NEXT UPDATE: Sunday-The Gasparilla Half Marathon

4 comments:

LauraLynne said...

on a positive note - you have trained for and ENTERED two ironman tri's - not many people can say that. You're inspiring. thank you.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Dream it, feel it, live it...

On another note, my happy places are very similar to Happy Gilmores... scary thought...huh???

Tri Mommy said...

"I'm still here when they told me I wouldn't be." That is the most amazing statement. I think it should be your mantra... that is an amazing feat in and of itself. "I am still here when they told me I wouldn't be, now let's see what I can do." You are awesome!

Irene Odell said...

Ha! AS IF anything could ever be as good as diving :-)

I sure wish I could do either right now.