Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Amateur Night is upon us...

**GIGGLE**

Ok...ok...the joke is old...but it is the honest truth. To those of us with compulsive overeating issues, Thanksgiving is Amateur night!! In years past, I have watched perfectly normal weighted, normal minded family members stuff themselves like the Thanksgiving bird on this holiday. My eyes widen with wonderment as they groan that they will "never eat like that again."

Really?? Never??

Yeah...right.

And Im Santa Claus...just wait for Mom's Prime Rib on Christmas Day.

All kidding aside, Thanksgiving is a challenge for those of us battling overeating and weight. Its tough. As we approach Turkey Day, it becomes more difficult to walk into a grocery store without getting blasted with the smell of cakes, pies and bread being made in the bakery or the multiple samples of food throughout the store. Believe it or not, those tastes along the route around the store add up...and not in a good way.

As I have said in a previous post, I am working on Thanksgiving but it comes with its own set of pitfalls. Last night, I was asked to bring a side dish and dessert for the day. The side dish was easy...Im making a spinach casserole that is fairly healthy but the dessert?? These folks are not the "fruit for dessert" type.

So I decided to make cookies. I always have my secret weapon at hand when making baked goods: chewing gum. If you are chomping away on gum, it makes it a little more difficult to taste or eat the cookies. When they are done, I am putting them over at a friend's house until I leave for work. That way: no temptations.

I am also running the Turkey Trot before I go to work. A nice 5k will help burn off some calories. Today was suppose to be my first outdoor running workout since Ironman, but it is pouring rain. Looks like the treadmill for now.

There is so much to be thankful for during this very special season. I love Thanksgiving because it makes you stop and think of all your blessings. I am thankful for a crazy but solid family, an amazing husband of 24 years, caring and real friends, a beautiful home and most of all...I am thankful for my life..and that I got a second chance to live it fully.

But my biggest blessing this year is one you might not see as a blessing at all. I am thankful for the opportunity to take another shot at Ironman and the challenge of losing the rest of this weight. Most would say I was cursed on Nov 7th. I say it was God's way of getting me on the right track to make a better me. What a wonderful journey this will be.

I hope you are counting your blessings and enjoying time with your family. Remember...its about the people..not the food (ok..it can be a little bit about the food!!) Enjoy!!! Happy Thanksgiving...

1 comment:

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!

You know, it took me 20 years to figure out I could do IMs and I guarantee you, I was in much better shape at 35.

Hang in there, the puzzle pieces are starting to take focus in your mind's eye, and once you see it there.. it's yours, puzzle solved.

Cheers!!