Thursday, October 30, 2008

Six Minutes Faster in the Swim


Ahhh...starting to feel better!!!  Got out in the Gatorade open water swim at 830am in my swim skin instead of my wetsuit.  The first 200 yards are pretty brutal as the water must be 10 degrees colder than it is beyond the shore and sandbar.  Once past that point, the water is comfortable in a skin.  Lets face it, I have my own insulation and buoyancy.  I really don't need the wetsuit!

The course is 5 buoys out..turn to one more buoy and then 5 buoys back.  The second turn buoy is DIRECTLY in the sun so we stopped and figured out which two buildings in the distance were right online with the turn and sighted from that.  Perfect!! Right on target for the turn. Very slight current coming across  the return course so a slight angle to the left as you head for shore keeps you on track to run onto the beach to make the timing mat and the second lap of the course.  

At the first turn I looked at my watch. Wow!! Im head of my pace by 7 minutes.  At the second turn, ahead of my pace by 8 minutes.  Getting over a sandbar just off the beach does slow you down a bit so when I stopped my watch on the beach, I was six minutes faster than when I did this last year with Rick during his Ironman.  Im still EXTREMELY slow but very pleased with my time!!

My friend Debbie is flying in this morning to go to the banquet and start helping us get prepared for the Beginner Triathlete.com Party we are hosting at 4pm and then the banquet at 530PM!!  

I feel sooooo much better.  Holy moley...I might just do this thing!!!

4 comments:

Chloe said...

Just wanted to wish you good luck! I'll be there cheering everyone on!

The Traveling Yogi said...

That's awesome that you feel good in the water!! You are going to do great. Have fun at the BT get together. Wish I could be there.

Anonymous said...

Have a blast - remember that this is YOUR day. Do everything you need to do to get to that finish line - see you on the flipside chicka dee...

Lani said...

I'll be tracking you all day (look now you have stalkers who you don't even know!) Just before I posted I had this funny feeling you were going to tell us tonight that you qualified for Kona :) Wouldn't THAT be a hoot!

Maybe we should suggest that the "hero" get to go regardless...

You are going to do great, it's your day, shine!