Thursday, October 9, 2008

A special run for a special little guy..


On Saturday morning, October 11th at 730am, several hundred runners, walkers, joggers and stumblers like myself will run in Lake Louisa State Park in the "Christian Stafford Feel the Force 5k" to benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training and in memory of Christian Richard Stafford.  Christian was a very special little boy in so many ways and he continues to touch my heart and my life every day.


Christian was my Godson who was diagnoised with Leukemia at age 6.  At first, things looked pretty good for my favorite little Jedi who loved Star Wars with a passion.  He got his first round of chemo and immediately went into remission.  The good news, however, turned bad when he bounced out of remission and required a marrow transplant.  The transplant failed and on March 6th, 2005, we lost Christian to this cowardly disease.  


Prior to his death, Christian entered a clinical trial for a drug that is now helping children throughout the world stay in remission.  If it had not been for his bravery, many families could have suffered the same fate the Stafford family endured on that March day.  He was a fighter and I gained alot of knowledge and strength from his experience.  This little guy taught me how to be tough in the face of pain and adversity.  He taught me to see the positive side of a bad situation and showed me grace in the darkest hour.  My hope is that I can use some of the things that Christian taught me as I go through my Ironman experience.

If you are in the Central Florida area, we would love to have you join us.  Use the link below to become part of the "force" that will do good for those battling Leukemia!!

www.feeltheforce5k.com

May the force be with you....always :)

1 comment:

The Traveling Yogi said...

Don't remember how I found your blog, but want to wish you the best as you finish training for and do Ironman Florida. Haven't read your whole story yet, but it sounds like you've come a long way. You should be proud of yourself. From a fellow TNTer...