Sunday, December 14, 2008

Ironman Burnout

Sometimes its hard to admit that your body and mind are screaming for a break. Now six weeks post Ironman, I have been having a difficult time focusing on my workouts. I have been skipping out on my workout plan and when I do get out there to get it done, my heart doesn't seem to be in it.

Hector and I discussed my issues and determined that after 11 months of training, Im a bit burned out. So on Tuesday morning we decided to give me a few weeks off. When I walked out of his workout studio, I felt...well...lost. I cried and wondered "Holy moley..now what??" Training has been such a big part of my life...what will I do??

I thought my mind and body were screaming for rest. On Wednesday night after working at Disney, I slept for 12 hours. On Saturday, I had another 12 hour night sleep. I NEVER sleep this much. I usually get 4 to 5 hours a night at the max and move on with my day. I still wake up at 430am thinking I have to be up for a long run or ride...but I pushing myself back to sleep.

Its Sunday...just 5 days since Hector and I decided to give me a rest and you know what Im thinking...WORKOUTS!!! Im starting to WANT to be on the road or in the pool. We thought I would take a break until Feb 1. Now I think it might be just January 1.

So...am I crazy?? Feel free to comment it you dare...hahahahahahahah!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am feeling burnt out too, and after my Half Ironman in 4 weeks, I am planning on 3 weeks off!!! Bet I don't last that long....

Take care of yourself! Go back to it when you are well and truly rested.

Coach Bill said...

Hey girl - time off does not mean you have to do nothing until Feb - do some fun stuff - take some fitness classes at the gym - try some yoga - trail running - ride your bike thorugh your neighborhood and enjoy the holiday lights - water fitness - stay active but limit the structure. Have fun - everyone needs rest - you do not get stronger without rest!

The Traveling Yogi said...

Just catching up on your posts. It is amazing the things people say when they find out you do triathlons.

Good for you for taking a break. I think every now and then you need one, but it is hard to do. Just take it as you feel like it and when the time comes, you'll be ready to get back to training.