Wednesday, December 3, 2008

You know you have been to the ER too much when...

**The doctors and nurses know you by name
**Its Wednesday-that means they have GOOD vegetable soup in the Cafeteria...and you know this by heart.
**The Valet Parking Guy at the front of the hospital doesn't charge you for parking

and the greatest indicator that you spend too much time at the ER..

When several of the nurses say you should get a job here...

Hmmmm An interesting day. I did a few organizational things for my boot camp this morning but I didn't sleep well so I headed back to bed at 7am to get 1 or 2 more hours of sleep. I got up at 9am, worked around the house and then headed out for some errands.

I was about 5 minutes from my house when my phone rang. My brother, the attorney, had that very scary calmness in his voice " don't be upset...but...Mom is in the Emergency Room" Don't be upset?? What?? Trying and succeeding to be the calm big brother, David explained to me that my mother had had an allergic reaction to some blood pressure medication and was in serious condition. They were taking her by ambulance to the hospital just a few minutes from me and could I meet my Dad at the ER.

I made the most illegal U Turn of my life and headed for the hospital. Jumped out of my car...and the valet (who has gotten to know me over the last few months)...threw me my ticket and I was in the door of the ER. I walked up to the desk and before you knew it, I was at my Mom's side.

...and to say she was serious was an understatement. Her heart had stopped during the ride over (I found that out at 630pm tonight) she was having trouble breathing to the point they had strapped a O2 demand mask to her face and her resting heart rate when I walked in was 137. She couldn't speak, she couldn't move and for the first time in my life, I saw serious fear in my father's face. The last time he said he was that scared was when my mother almost bled to death when she lost my baby sister at delivery.

I am thrilled to report that she is stable now. She will probably go home on Friday.

They are in the process of flushing her system of this blood pressure medication that made her so ill. As for me...I am making my dad dinner...and then I am headed to bed so I can get up early for a visit in the morning!!

Thanks for listening..and your always..are appreciated!!!


Kathy said...

Cripes, not good at all. Hope she comes through it all ok.

The Running Girl said...

So sorry to hear about your mom, but glad to hear she is stable and should be fine. I will pray for her and your family.